08 April 2011

Sore Throat

Ah, the joys of having children.  At the first sniff and nose wipe on sleeve I knew I was in for it.  My 3-year-old has picked up a cold from some unknown source.  And of course he bounces right back and I, in my old age, am debilitated.  We managed to venture out to ECFE and went for a walk around the lake today, but yesterday I had to cancel all my appointments and both of my rehearsals.  This is one of those rare cases when I am actually glad I am sick now and not next week (when the kids are in final rehearsals for Stations) or in a few weeks (when Sound of Music opens).  So I am taking this as a blessing and as another reminder of just how closely linked my health and my profession (performing arts) are.

In other news, we are switching to a monthly plan with our chiropractor so I will get to go get an adjustment every week!
I believe this will be a huge help in my overall goal to stay healthy and specifically will help ward off any migraines which are my constant fear going into performances.  I have only ever had one migraine on stage and that was when I was doing Willy Wonka.  All those lights and sounds made it almost unbearable, but I had the luxury of only being on stage for the first act.  I always wonder what would happen if I got a migraine in the middle of cantoring for a funeral.  I get the auras, so it would be impossible to read the music.  And I couldn't just leave in the middle of it.  Anyway, it's never happened and hopefully it never will.  It's just one of those things that I worry about because that's just who I am.

Doing Sound of Music means I have been missing weekly rehearsals for Harmonic Patina.  There is a TON of music to learn and while I am making an effort to at least print it out, I have not had the time to really go through it the way that I should.  Once my cold clears up and I can produce more than a squeak when I try to sing, I am going to make a run-thru of the Harmonic Patina repertoire part of my daily warm-up.

Final thought: As a funeral cantor, there are occasional droughts where there are just no funerals for weeks at a time.  I always feel like a bad person for wishing a funeral would come up.  And when it finally does, I feel bad that I'm so elated.  I mean, I need to work.  I guess it's just one of those things only I worry about.

No comments:

Post a Comment