28 April 2011

Opening!

Tonight is the preview performance of Sound of Music at Lakeshore Players Theatre.  It has been a real treat getting to know my character, Baroness Elsa Schraeder, and I am ready to put her out there to be loved or hated (sometimes simultaneously) by the sold-out crowds in White Bear Lake.  This weekend will mark the end of a tech week of nightly rehearsals, and I am looking forward to being able to shift my focus to other projects again during the week.

On Monday I have a rehearsal with a cappella group Harmonic Patina, with whom I have not rehearsed in over a month.  I'm expecting a little grinding as I switch gears so quickly, but I'm sure it will all work out eventually.

I'm also starting to audition for shows coming up in the Fall.  As I discussed before, I'm taking the summer off from shows to assess the best way to move forward from here.  In the 18 months since I jumped back into the performing arts world, I have done 9 shows, joined a quartet, an a cappella group, become a regular cantor for a church, and made a lot of connections along the way.   I am now close to halfway into my 5-year plan to earn a regular income as a performer.  I will be spending my time this summer preparing for the next step.  That means taking dance and/or acting classes, marketing myself more effectively, deciding which theaters and opportunities to pursue, as well as rebuilding my audition repertoire.

It's an ambitious plan, but I've come so far already.  Hoping to keep my drive and momentum going.  Alex should be starting preschool in the Fall which gives me some flexibility to do gigs or take classes in the AM.

Anyway, off to the show I go!  Can't wait to open tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment