03 April 2011

Challenges of Redesign

While I am confident that this year's Living Stations of the Cross will turn out just fine, I have been feeling more stress as we get closer to our performance date.  Somehow, going into this, I had assumed that because I had directed this the year before, it would simply be a matter of plugging the new actors into the same characters and blocking and that it would be a calm experience for everyone involved.  I am learning, however, that even though you directed a show once, IT WILL NEVER BE THE SAME SHOW in subsequent attempts.

Now granted, part of the stress is stemming from the fact that my expectation of just plugging people into an existing vehicle was inherently flawed and unrealistic.

Secondly, I THOUGHT I had remembered my blocking from last year, but find myself having to go back and change things to accommodate unforeseen complications.
 I had made blocking diagrams last year, but even needed to change those on the fly, so I don't have a written record of the final product.

Also, I keep expecting my actors to behave the way last year's 8th graders did; I keep thinking the soldiers are taller than they really are, Jesus didn't used to crack up so much last year, and I can't get my John to put his arm around Mary.  So I'm constantly having to adjust my thinking to remind myself that this isn't MY production, it's theirs.  They will be putting their unique stamp on it.

So how do I know when I should stick to my guns, and when I should just throw my expectations out the window and make it work for them? Part of the trouble is that I'm having to make these decisions on the fly, so the kids see me being indecisive.  Once they sense you are unsure, they will second-guess you on everything.

As I type this post, I am downloading a video recording of last year's Stations.  I will be able to review it and remind myself how I solved some of the blocking problems that I had and reassure myself that it is possible to do this.  I had a LOT less time to put this together last year, so I will take this year's extra rehearsals as an opportunity to polish and make sure these kids feel a sense of ownership over their performances.

I have learned a valuable lesson.  I so enjoy new experiences in the performing arts; the opportunity to gain knowledge is never wasted.

No comments:

Post a Comment