24 July 2011

Surgery Recovery

I finally got my long-anticipated sinus surgery on July 20th.  Everything went well and I'm recovering as expected.  My sore throat (I was intubated while under general anesthesia) has disappeared and now I'm dealing exclusively with the sinus pressure from the packing and swelling as I heal.

Interesting side-note: I met with the anesthesiologist before the surgery and he asked me the normal questions about allergies and underlying medical conditions. In passing, I mentioned that I was a singer, which prompted him to assure me that they would use a smaller tube when they intubated me.  I was taken aback because I didn't even know that was an option.  So, to any singers getting surgery, be sure to mention your profession!  I admit I was a little nervous about the intubation in the first place, but didn't realize they could do anything differently.  I have learned my lesson and will now make it a point to mention that I'm a singer whenever seeing a new doctor.  When your body is your instrument, there's no telling what complications can arise that could put you out of work.

I mentioned that I was a singer to one of the nurses, and after chatting for a few minutes we discovered that I used to sing at St. Stephen's Church with her nephew, Matt Kneefe (now lead singer of successful country rock group Hitchville), and he even sang at our wedding.  Small world.

During my recovery, I am looking to future projects.  I have agreed to do a short play for the MN Shorts Play Festival in Mankato in September.  I will (again) be playing the love-interest of D.W. Surine, who is taking the time to do this show despite his upcoming nuptials.  I guess I get one last crack at him. ;-) (Pay no attention, Stephanie)  The play is Fighting Mister Right by Barbara Lindsay and I just love love love the idea.  A couple comes home from a date, he's eager, she's eager... what could possibly go wrong?  Looking forward to this show.

Loving the possibilities... wishing myself a speedy recovery!

No comments:

Post a Comment