01 August 2011

New Opportunity

I had an audition on Saturday that I felt pretty good about for a cappella group DeCantus. Especially having just had sinus surgery a week and a half earlier and having woken up with a migraine that morning, I thought it went well.

Apparently it went VERY well because I've been asked to join as mezzo for their holiday season! There are three people for each part, so I will be dividing gigs with my two fellow mezzos. They have about 45 songs in their repertoire (for this season) that I will need to learn (not memorize), and I will need to acquire and construct some Victorian caroling garb. They provide a pattern and material for the skirt so, does anyone know a good seamstress? My grandmother taught me to sew, but without a machine I'm pretty limited to buttons and hems. I have three rehearsals with just the newbies, then full group rehearsals start September 13th. I've got a lot of music to digest before then.

My son will be starting preschool in the Fall: three days a week in the mornings. As I have been unable to find other employment that would allow me to work such specific and limited hours, I'm thinking that the best thing would be for me to try to branch out to some other local churches and get on their cantor lists for funerals. Right now I'm exclusive to Presentation of Mary, but there's no reason I shouldn't be able to pick some up at other neighboring parishes. It really is the perfect situation for me, because my son will be in school during which time most funerals are held.

Anyway, I've come down with a cold that's attacking everything from my chest up, so it's time for me to go back to bed with my glass of orange juice and paperback copy of Terry Pratchett's Mort (a refresher before I attend the staging at Mounds Theatre on Friday).

Be well!

No comments:

Post a Comment