28 March 2011

Current Projects

As the weather gets warmer, I am getting busier! I am thankful, however, to have such an abundance of projects, so you won't find me complaining.

Had a rehearsal today for the Living Stations of the Cross production that I am directing again this year for Presentation of Mary.  This year's 8th graders seem up to the task and I have no doubt we will have another success.  I am relieved to have a little more time this year to put it all together.  A bit of stress as performance day approaches is inevitable nonetheless.

Tonight I'm off to rehearsal for Sound of Music at Lakeshore Players Theatre.  I have been pleasantly surprised by my character, Baroness Elsa Schraeder.
Unlike the movie, she has a couple songs with her dear friend, Max, and is a lot more fun in general.  I admit that I had auditioned for the show thinking that I was much better suited for Maria, but I find myself reconsidering.  Frau Schraeder seems more and more familiar the further along I go and I am convinced that by opening night I will discover that she had been hiding within me all the time.  Adding another element is the fact that I will be providing supplemental vocals for the nuns from backstage.  I've been asked to sing Soprano I, which is doable, but I am definitely stretching muscles I haven't used since All-State Women's Chorus my Sophomore year in HS!  This is one Mezzo that will not be taking her range for granted again.

I was contacted recently to sing for a wedding at the end of April and I am looking forward to that.  I'll be singing with the Baroque Trio which is a rare opportunity and one that I am sure will be successful.

Rehearsals continue weekly for the newly-formed a cappella group Harmonic Patina.  As swing vocalist I am learning both Soprano and Alto parts.  I enjoy this experience for several reasons;  I am working with other musicians who are professional and talented and enjoy singing, and I am testing my flexibility by learning two parts.  And if you are curious about how flexible I need to be, know that one of the songs we are learning requires the Alto part to sing a low-A, and the Soprano to hit a high-D, repeatedly!  It is a mental and physical exercise for sure, but I love it!

Another ensemble I participate in is a quartet at Presentation of Mary.  I am the Alto, and we rehearse and perform together once a month.  We learn two new songs each month, in addition to solidifying or adding parts to the familiar hymns.  I am working with other professionals and that is also enjoyable.

Though I had resolved to take this summer off from theatre to focus on music gigs and development (SoM will be my 9th show in 18 months), I was contacted today by one of my favorite directors asking me to participate in yet another show in early summer.  I don't want to divulge all the details because auditions have yet to be held, but I have agreed.  With my husband's consent (he has been missing me with all the rehearsals lately!) this last show will be a sort of birthday present to myself (and the director).

So that's what I'm working on currently.  No wonder I'm so exhausted (and happy)!

2 comments: